Welcome to the geofictician wiki.
Ohunkagan is the largest city in the state of Makaska, in the Federal States of Archanta. It is a commercially important center of transport and commerce for the Grand Lakes Region in the nation's center-south.
The name Ohunkagan for the city is derived from the lake with the same name. The meaning is "story" or "myth" in the local native Rakhoda language. The lake was so-named because of the periodic gathering of the various Rakhoda bands in the region for storytelling festivals around the lake, which was held to be sacred.
Timeline: Growth of Ohunkagan
- 1812 - founding Fort Marony
- 1831 - founding Ohunkagan
- 1859 - Ohunkagan annexes Fort Marony (south of Canal)
- Ohunkagan in 1860: https://opengeofiction.net/relation/155439
- 1861 - annexes new developments of South Plains and Mt Airy
- 1872 - annexes village of Balto
- 1873 - Ohunkagan Electric Railways founded, line 1 built
- 1874 - annexes town of New Hotanka
- 1875 - annexes villages of Allanack and Hogarth
- 1879 - annexes twin villages of Coke and Undertown
- 1879 - annexes village of Hailsham
- Ohunkagan in 1880: https://opengeofiction.net/relation/155144
Before West Ulethan Settlement
Before the arrival of the ethnically West Ulethan Effessians, the region currently occupied by the city and metropolitan area of Ohunkagan was home for thousands of years to native peoples. The Rakhoda people, who were those encountered by the settlers, were themselves fairly recent arrivals, however, probably having come into the area only 200-300 years prior. They either drove out or absorbed the prior native groups, about which very little is known in terms of ethnicity, though they left a fairly elaborate material culture in the form of baskets, lodges and such. Linguistically, the region was 100% Rakhoda-speaking by the time the settlers arrived, but there is a surviving substrate of non-Rakhoda names to be found, in places such as Squallywaukus, Bockbow, and some others.
Wards and Neighborhoods
The city is informally but strongly divided into two parts, based on the historical merger of Fort Marony and Ohunkagan in 1859. South of the Canal is commonly called "Fort" or "Southside," while North of the Canal is called "City" or "Northside."
By the city charter amendment of 1872, city wards must be drawn along neighborhood boundaries. So neighborhoods are listed below by ward constituency.
Education got an early start in the city. By 1880, there were 14 public schools and 3 private schools operating in Ohunkagan.
Higher education was slow to get started in the city, since Makaska's land-grant institutions were all situated in other cities, but by 1880 several tertiary schools were established in the region, including the brand-new Grants-Hogarth University, later to become the state's premier private university (although with the secession of University Village in 1900, it is not technically located within the city of Ohunkagan).
|Name||Operator||ISCED Level||Founding Date|| Map
|Ohunkagan State Normal School||State of Makaska||5||1865||(relation 116543)|
|Isthmic University||Rainerian Church in Makaska||5;6||1869||(relation 116544)|
|Grants-Hogarth University||Grants-Hogarth University Foundation||5;6||1877||(relation 116545)|
From the start, Ohunkagan was a religiously diverse community. The initial founders of the city were largely Ortholic, and the earliest settlers included a large number of Franquese traders who were also Ortholic, but by the 1880's the city had no religious majority, with many Christic denominations as well as Hebric and even small communities of other groups.
Places of Worship
Three main rail operators were functioning by 1880.
- Makaska & Southern RR built the Ohunkagan Central Railroad Station, and operated several passenger lines throughout the region.
- Ohunkagan & Lakes RR built the Fort Marony Station (later called just "Fort Station"), and operated several lines
- Mythic RR used the Fort Station to operate a passenger line to the town of Mythic and up to Prairie Forge.
The Ohunkagan Electric Railway Company was founded in 1873, starting with the Makaska Street / Mount Airy Line 1. With rapid growth, by 1880 there were more than 10 lines and over 150km of routes covered.
In 1878 the Iyotanhaha Streetcar Company was started and a separate network begun for that smaller city.
Eventually, the two networks would grow together in a single combined network.